Little ways to help yourself heal
As I talked about in my post ‘5 ways to support yourself‘, it is vital to put your support in yourself, to learn how to take care of yourself and build yourself up. Only YOU can be the savior of you.
Here are 15 little ways to help yourself heal
- Stand in front of the mirror, smile at yourself, and repeat ‘I am perfect just as I am. I am worthy of love and happiness’. Mantras are incredibly powerful and are a great way of replacing the negative self-talk so many of us have
- Look for small joys – when you’re having a hard time, it can be easy to only see the hard stuff. Make an effort to notice the small things that are good – a good cup of coffee, the sun shining, a smile from a stranger…
- Let it go – stop holding onto every little mistake you made. Let things go that have been.
- Embrace your mistakes – stop seeing them as setbacks and instead see them as learning steps. Everybody screws up sometimes – but it’s from our mistakes that we learn.
- Be true to you – while others can offer advice, only you know what is right for you.
- Stop waiting for the right time – there never will be one. All you have is where you are right now. Use the here and now to move to where you want to be
- Let yourself just be – sometimes it is ok to be still, to have a day when you make no visible progress, rest is just as important.
- Look at the messages you are giving yourself – replace negative self-talk with positive mantras but also look at what you are reading – take anything negative out of the media that you consume every day.
- Journal – writing helps so much. Let yourself pour out how you are feeling onto the page without censor.
- Move your body – exercise releases endorphins – those feel-good chemicals. Go for a walk, practice some yoga, go for a swim – whatever you enjoy, just get moving. It forces you to be present in your body rather than your mind.
- Get creative – losing yourself in a creative pursuit is a fantastic aid to healing. Be it writing, painting, knitting… pick something that you love and get creating.
- Separate yourself from your feelings – yes, you might feel blue today – but take a step back and give yourself some things to achieve in spite of how you feel.
- Let go of hurt from others – write down those hurtful things, burn them and as they turn to ash let them go from your mind.
- Be your own friend – what would you say to a friend feeling this way? What would you do for them? Do the same for yourself.
- Be yourself – and love you for you. Stop comparing yourself with everyone else,